Fire Prevention for Electric Equipment
According to the main reason that causes electric equipment fire and explosion, prevention measure should be carried out as follows.
I Choose appropriate electric equipment and wire and don't overload them.
II When the switch, the fuse protector or the wire is installed, it is necessary to keep them away from the inflammable object for a distance. III Guarantee electric equipment to be run normally, especially the joint place between wires and equipment in case they will be overheated because of loose connection or bad contacting.
IV Clean the electric equipment periodically.
V Strengthen the management for the running of equipment. Examine and test it periodically so as to keep it from causing short circuit because of bad insulation.
VI The metal shell of the equipment should be reliably grounded or connected to neutral.
VII The equipment should be put in a place with good ventilation and heat dissipation condition.
How to Suppress Electric Equipment Fire
In order to guarantee the safety of the fire fighting people, some appropriate measures should be adopted according to the practical situation when suppressing the electric equipment fire.
Suppress fire when equipment is de-energized.
When electric equipment catch fire or light the flammable object around them, you should try to cut off power first. Some other tips should be noticed.
a. Because insulation ability of the electric equipment is lowered when it is caught fire, you should switch off the power with an insulation tool.
b. When you cut over cable, the cable in different phase should be cut in different place so as to prevent it from causing short circuit.
2 Suppress fire when equipment is energized.
If you can't cut off power immediately and have to suppress fire of energized equipment, you should do as follows.
a. Use the fire extinguisher which is not conductive, such as dry powder fire extinguisher and carbon dioxide fire extinguisher.
b. The extinguisher equipment should be kept away from the energized equipment in a safe distance and the fire fighter should wear insulation gloves.
Prevent Electrical Circuit from Catching Fire and Explosion.
Electrical circuit may produce electric spark and arc because of short circuit and overload, or it may catch fire because the cable is overheated to catch fire.
The electric circuit catches fire because of short circuit. When short circuit is caused, the current will be increased suddenly, which is called short circuit current. According to Ohm's law, when the short circuit is happened, the instant heat caused by electric discharge is very high, the heat can not only burn the insulation to melt the metal wire but also trigger the explosion of the explosive object surround it.
The electric circuit catches fire because of overload. When overload current get through a wire, the temperature of the wire will increase. Generally speaking, the maximum temperature stood by the wire is 65 degrees centigrade. If the wire is overloaded for a long time, its temperature will exceed the permitted value so that the insulation will be aged in a rapid speed. Therefore, electric spark and arc will be caused.
Prevent Electric Heater from Catching Fire and Explosion
Electric heater is a device used to transform electric energy into heat energy. It has many different types and has been widely used in many fields, including industrial electric heaters , electric cooker and the furnace for the heat treatment of mechanic materials. The reason for electric heater device catching fire and exploding is various. The main reason is that its heating temperature is too high and the sectional area of the wire is too small. The best is to use the explosion proof heater . I strongly recommend you to use it.